Friday, September 25, 2009

Pop Culture Field Trip

So seeing as how the last post was completely rushed, I now have some time to give a better report of the earlier portion of the week. There will be a part two for the cakes! : D

Back on Saturday, Hansy, my friends, and I went to AWA- Anime Weekend Atlanta!



^Melanie fell asleep on the way. If you look closely she has a mini baseball bat. We really hoped she wouldn't wake up from a nightmare with that thing.


^Carly and Melanie heading into the Cobb Galleria!

My only regret was that we didn't get to meet these two voice actors that were signing autographs and answering questions on panels. (One line was ridiculously long and the other guy wasn't around until after we had just left. ;_;)

They had some really cool exhibits though. We got to see a pikachu car, a Japanese rock band, and an art gallery with piece from artist all over the Atlanta/ Atlanta suburb areas.





^Melanie with a member of the Japanese rock group Peelander-Z. (They remind me of Power Rangers!)

It's also like a gigantic once a year market place with imported toys, clothes, and other stuff. We hauled off tons of awesome stuff. Hans bought an awesome shirt with penguins on it.


I bought a lot of art!(Because it's not as if I don't have enough art on my walls already.) Hans pointed out that I might have an obsession with pins and buttons, because I bought enough to cover one of my bags in them. Yay! Other than that I bought a lot of plushies and a really long eared bunny hat!








The best find of all the things I bought was a comic series called Tanpopo by Camilla d'Errico. I had no previous knowledge of who she was or any of her art, but I was so intrigued by the art on her booth I wanted a poster really badly! I began having a great conversation with the woman running the booth. She was very amiable and passionate about the art being sold. Rather than a poster, I chose to buy the comics because she had made them sound so fascinating. Lo and behold! She was the author/artist herself straight out of Canada! She even autographed both volumes for me!


The story itself a beautiful retelling of Faust with fantastic art. A devil appears to a emotionless girl who desires to know what feelings are in the form of a harmless little creature. He convinces her to give him her soul and in return he would teach her what emotions are. So far there are only two volumes, but I'm so excited I can hardly wait for the next books to come out!



^The devil in the form of a sweet creature trying to convince Tanpopo to give up her soul. (The picture was taken from her official website.)

Of course no Anime convention could ever be complete without cos-players!










No comments: